Top 10 Black Super Models
10. Alek Wek: Sudan-born Alek Wek was discovered at a London outdoor market. She was able to catch the attention of the industry when she appeared in the music video of “Golden Eye” by Tina Turner. Since then, she has graced major ads for a lot of companies, including Clinique, Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, and Victoria’s Secret among many others.
9. Roshumba Williams: Chicago-native Roshumba Williams was discovered by none other than Yves Saint Lauren, when she was still a teenager on the streets of Paris. Being featured in Cover Girl, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issues, and Maybelline campaigns are just a few of her most notable achievements.
8. Beverly Peele: Beverly Peele, in all of her eight years in the fashion industry, managed to appear as the cover of more than 250 different magazines. She appeared in ads for Versace, Ralph Lauren, and Donna Karan as well as in music videos, including that of the song entitled ‘Too Funky’.
7. Kimora Lee: A lot of people know Kimora Lee as the ex-wife of Russell Simmons. However, prior to marrying and divorcing Simmons, Kimora was already in a contract with Chanel and was a muse of Karl Lagerfeld. She was only thirteen years old when she was discovered.
6. Liya Kebede: Liya Kebede, who was born in Ethiopia, got her break in the fashion industry when Tom Ford chose her in the 2000 Gucci Fall/Winter show. After this, she proceeded in establishing a name for herself as a permanent runway figure on the Milan, Paris, London, and New York circuit. She is also the first black model for Estee Lauder.
5. Veronica Webb: Before Veronica Webb became a supermodel, she was actually a design student. After being discovered by a makeup artist, she was recruited to work the catwalk for Issac Mizrahi, Todd Oldham, Karl Lagerfeld, and Azzedine Alaia. She landed covers for both Elle and Vogue magazines.
4. Tyra Banks: While Tyra Banks is known for her personality, there is no denying the fact that she has achieved a lot as a black supermodel. If you watched the series America’s Next Top Model, then you know the history of her career. Tyra Banks is also the first black model to be featured as a cover on the Victoria’s Secret catalog, on Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, and on GQ.
3. Beverly Johnson: Before being featured as the cover of more than 500 different magazines, Beverly Johnson was actually a professional and champion swimmer. She also was the first black model to be the featured cover of a number of magazines, including the German Cosmopolitan Magazine and the French Elle Magazine.
2. Iman Abdulmajid: Iman Abdulmajid was born in Somali and entered the world of modeling in the year 1975 after she was discovered by Peter Beard. During Iman’s career, she became the first ever African-born model to be featured as German Vogue’s cover. Her career as a top black model lasted for over a decade. She is the wife of David Bowie. She staeted her own line of cosmetics IMAN.
1. Naomi Campbell: Naomi Campbell is also the first ever black model to be featured on a French Vogue cover. There are a lot of things about Campbell that makes her the top black model on this list, and these include being the highest paid supermodel of all time.
Source : The richest.com